Monday 23 May 2011

Had meeting with school regarding Lou wandering from premises.

Just had a meeting at the school, well a quick discussion.

I saw the place where she got out. She climbed under a fence while the person looking out for her went to take another pupil to the loo. It's about 20 yards from the main road and she was gone 5-10 mins. The people from the local nursery did find her (thank god!). The nursery is next to the school but still in front of the main road.

If she had got onto the main road and avoided being hit by a car then she would have been in an area of lots of roads. She is big enough for people to have thought she was not far from her parents etc. She could have wandered for miles without anyone taking an interest.

The head of the ASD says NO to funding for a 1:1! and they are going to keep her in the school at break times.

I'm now going to make some phone calls to see what my rights are. - Made some phone calls and have been told i need to push for 1:1 for at least break times etc. as keeping her in or restricted is not suitable. As its not written on her statement that she needs 1:1 then i will be writing a letter requesting an early annual review.

I also phoned the local nursery and was told the school didn't even know she was gone! and that it was a parent of a child at the nursery that spotted her and took her to the nursery

Halo

3 comments:

  1. Hello there, thought I'd pop over and check your new blog. Very interesting. My Nipper is a wanderer. You have to have eyes in the back of your head all the time. I have to make sure that the doors are deadlocked and the keys out of sight. I can't leave a window open unless I'm in the room or he'll try to climb out. Very stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Halo- You must be so worried- exactly the same thing happened to me (twice) three years ago, even down to my daughter being found on the street by another parent! The school clearly need to step up how they care for your daughter at breaktimes. Keeping her in is really unfair, they should give her 1:1. As far as I know, the school has a duty to meet your childs needs. Unfortunately, in the end, I had to take my daughter out of the school she was at (for many other reasons) and she is now at a better school. Good luck and well done for highlighting this problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tilly - Yes we have lots of alarms and special locks around the house too, spent thousands! little madame, she loves exploring but doesnt know the dangers :( xx

    Hi Rachel - Thank you, i have 3 meetings at the school in the next couple of weeks, so lets hope things are put in place, which dont restrict her but keep her safe. Will keep you posted. xx

    ReplyDelete